Thursday, July 12, 2007

On Mussels

Dear Blog,

Mussels are are a favorite food of this Rambler. They're a delicious, guilt-free gift from the ocean. Wild, they're numerous and in no danger of becoming over-fished. Farmed, they're extremely unlikely to cross breed with their wild cousins. Plus, as siphons, in the wild and farmed, they're nature's little water filters, actually cleaning their surrounds. What's not to love?

Yet somehow I had neglected to try the mussels at Sophia's Grotto. I rectified this recently at dinner with my better half, my mother-in-law, and her gentleman friend. It was a warm night, so we sat out on the patio. The courtyard is truly lovely, especially at this time of the year. How unfortunate that he-who-will-not-be-named has a stranglehold on the property and seems content to let half of the patio-facing shop fronts lie fallow. But I digress (see On Emptiness).

It was a lovely evening, and I decided to try the Spicy Mussels. Sophia's mussels are steamed in a tomato fennel stew with chorizo and poured over a base of soft polenta. The mussels are of medium size and steamed just to the point of opening. Peaking out of the blackish-blue shells the meats are revealed as perfect, tender, orange pillows. In addition to the chorizo, itself packed with spicy, smoked paprika, I think the broth has some saffron. Together with the tomatoes these ingredients create an orange-red broth, finished with a splash of olive oil for shimmer. The smooth polenta adds just the right balance to this dish, and a few toast points ensure that you get every last drop of the precious liquor.

Prefaced by an arugula salad and together with a Stella Artois, these mussels made a perfect meal on a warm, Roslindale evening.

That's all for now, Blog.

1 comment:

Shake Day said...

Dear Rambler,
Your dinner sounds wunnerful. So wunnerful, in fact, that I can't get that crappy Diana Ross song out of my head. You know the one. I'll not leave the earworm in your head or bloggy's head if you don't. Your description of emptiness in the previous entry resonates with what I've seen of my new town, too. Peace out.
Shakey